Summer brings to mind the image of a picture-perfect beach, breezy mountain trails, and a few short weeks in a fabulous ski resort. However, the times are demanding for more inexpensive ways to relax and have fun, and many people are opting to spend the season in town.
While a ‘staycation’ may seem a lot less fun than getting a tan in the beach and enjoying the sea breeze, it presents a great opportunity to get to know your city better. You can do this by finding urban spaces, special cafes, or secret haunts. In addition, staying inland won’t stop you from making the most of out of the season’s latest fashion trends. You may not be able to wear a bikini to the beach, but you have every opportunity to try these summer street fashion pieces:
- Frayed Denim Shorts – Cool, comfortable, and stylish, denim shorts have always been a summer staple. This year, the frayed kind is trendier than ever, but feel free to make do with any type of denim shorts that you may already have in your closet. The great thing about denim shorts is that they’re just like jeans: they look good with anything.
- Slip Dresses – If wearing short, tight clothes isn’t your cup of tea, then stock up slip dresses for the season. Made of light and airy fabric, they’re the answer to those who want to look cute but don’t want to show too much skin. Repurpose your slinky evening slip-on and give it a smart-casual vibe, then take it to an evening party. You can also refresh your wardrobe with Asian-inspired dresses from YesStyle.
- Slipper Mules – Mules are also returning into the fashionable fold this summer. These close-toed, backless shoes are the answer to wearing slippers in public and looking stylish without any effort. Complete your summer look by going with a pastel or floral pair.
- Tops with Exaggerated Sleeves – Aside from slip dresses, you can also don dresses and tops with exaggerated sleeves this season. Whether your style is oversized, bell-shaped, or ultra-long, exaggerated sleeves will make you look chic without needing to break a sweat.
- Graphic Bags – Have you ever bought bags that are shaped like a large diamond, or a purse shaped like a soda can, only to hide them in the attic? They’re pretty trendy this summer, so feel free to take them out to the street. For graphic bags, the wackier the design, the better.
- Laceup Flats – Flats have always been an important wardrobe piece. Upgrade them this summer by adding lacy straps and paring them up with a flowy summer dress. It’s amazing what a bit of lace can do to completely transform a shoe.
- Off-Shoulder-Everything – 2016 had us baring our midriffs. Now, it’s time to bare your shoulders. After working hard to get that sun-kissed glow, it’s time to finally show them off.
- Gladiator Sandals – It’s the high heels of the sandal world, but gladiator sandals won’t make your feet ache at the end of the day. Pair them with frayed denim shorts, slip dresses, or off-shoulder tops — the choice is entirely yours.